Hotel Fire Safety Plans in NYC
Who Needs A Fire Safety Plan?
New York City Rule (1 RCNY § 15-05) requires certain properties operating as hotels, motels, and lodging houses to have an FDNY accepted Fire Safety Plan.
The properties covered under this rule are as follows:
- Hotels and motels (Building code J-1, R-1) which have:
- More than thirty (30) sleeping rooms or lodgers
- More than fifteen (15) sleeping rooms or lodgers above the first or ground story
- Any number of rooms or lodgers in a building greater than seventy-five (75) feet in height
Why Have A Fire Safety Plan?
Aside from the obvious need to comply with legal requirements there are a number of benefits to having a current and well-rehearsed Fire Safety Plan.
What Does A Fire Safety Plan Entail?
In order to comply with NYC regulations for a Fire Safety Plan a property governed by this rule must:
- Have a written plan which establishes a method of systematic, safe and orderly evacuation of an area or building by its occupants in case of fire or other emergency.
- This plan must be submitted to and accepted by the NYC Fire Department.
- Have a Fire Safety Director or Deputy Fire Safety Director with proper Certificate of Fitness from FDNY on duty at all times that the building is occupied.
- Conduct fire drills on all shifts at least once every three (3) months.
- Install and maintain requisite signage in stairwells, elevator landings and guest rooms.
- Ensuring the safety of your employees and guests in the event of a fire.
- A staff which is well trained and practiced in fire safety procedures will respond quickly and effectively in an emergency thus reducing risk to occupants and minimizing damage to the facility.
- Many insurance companies either require properties to have a Fire Safety Plan or will issue discounts to those that do.
- A Fire Safety Plan may reduce the legal liability of owners or managers in the event of a fire in their building.
How A Fire Safety Consultant from Global Security Group Can Help
Since 2001 Global Security Group’s staff of retired FDNY Officers has been helping property owners and managers with all aspects of Fire Safety compliance including:
- Fire Safety Plan preparation
- Fire Safety Drills
- Training for hotel or motel staff
- Fire Safety Director Classes
- Fire Safety Director refresher courses
- Addressing and correcting FDNY violations
Please contact us for a free consultation regarding hotel fire safety plans in NYC.