↑ Return to Fire Safety Plans

Residential Fire Safety Plans

Residential Fire Safety Plans

residential fire safety plansSince the year 2000, every residential building in New York City (including cooperatives and condominiums) is required to prepare a residential fire safety plan. A fire safety plan guide must be distributed annually to all the occupants and service employees of the building either during the first week of October, which is Fire Safety Month or with the window guard notice in January. The plan must also be distributed to every new building occupant and every new building service employee. It must be revised and redistributed within 60 days of any material change in building conditions that affects the plan. Records of distribution must be maintained. Acceptable documentation includes a U.S Postal Service certificate of mailing or, for hand delivery, dated and signed receipts. The FDNY may inspect these building records at any time and should be presented with copies of the last five annual fire safety plans. Failure to comply with the law may result in fines.

A fire safety notice shall serve to inform building occupants, service employees, and visitors about the procedures to be followed in the event of fire in the building. Fire Safety Notices must also be prepared and posted in a conspicuous location near any common mailbox area or near the elevators or main stairwell and distributed to every apartment. These notices must be laminated or framed under a clear plexiglass cover to protect them from wear and tear.

Apartment residents are responsible for posting the Fire Safety Notices on the inside of their front doors. There is no requirement to inspect or to verify that residents maintain their Fire Safety Notices on their doors, but, if a resident requests a replacement notice, this must be provided, although a reasonable charge can be levied.

Global Security Group’s Fire and Life Safety group has prepared numerous Guides and Notices for Combustible and Non-Combustible Residential Buildings. Please call 212-285-2400 for more information.