Hotel Fire Safety & Evacuation Plans in NYC
How Global Security Group Can Help
Since 2001 Global Security Group’s staff of retired FDNY Officers has been helping property owners and managers with all aspects of Fire Safety compliance including:
- Fire Safety & Evacuation Plan preparation
- Fire Safety Drills
- Training for hotel or motel staff
- Fire & Life Safety Director Classes
- Addressing and correcting FDNY violations
Please contact us for a free consultation regarding hotel fire safety plans in NYC.
Who Needs A Fire Safety & Evacuation Plan?
New York City Rule (1 RCNY § 15-05) requires certain properties operating as hotels, motels, and lodging houses to have an FDNY accepted Fire Safety & Evacuation Plan.
The properties covered under this rule are as follows:
- Hotels and motels (Building code J-1, R-1) which have:
- More than thirty (30) sleeping rooms or lodgers
- More than fifteen (15) sleeping rooms or lodgers above the first or ground story
- Any number of rooms or lodgers in a building greater than seventy-five (75) feet in height
Why Have A Fire Safety & Evacuation Plan?
Aside from the obvious need to comply with legal requirements there are a number of benefits to having a current and well-rehearsed Fire Safety & Evacuation Plan.
What Does A Fire Safety & Evacuation Plan Entail?
Fire Safety & Evacuation Plans for hotels must:
- Have a written plan which establishes a method of systematic, safe and orderly evacuation of an area or building by its occupants in case of fire or other emergency.
- Be submitted to and accepted by the NYC Fire Department.
- Have a Fire Safety Director or Deputy Fire Safety Director with proper Certificate of Fitness from FDNY on duty at all times that the building is occupied.
- Conduct fire drills on all shifts at least once every three (3) months.
- Install and maintain requisite signage in stairwells, elevator landings and guest rooms.
- Ensure the safety of your employees and guests in the event of a fire.
- Maintain a well trained staff.